Carley Brook - Oregon Township The Carley Brook United Methodist Church history began in 1853. During that time Carley Brook had sawmills. tanneries and a chemical acid factory. which brought employment and settlers to the rural area. as well as a need for a church. In 1853. church services were held in a local home. From 1854 until 1886, services were held in the Carley Brook schoolhouse. On February 6, 1867, the court granted a charter to the Methodist Episcopal Church of Oregon. In 1876 John Riefler sold two acres and four perches of land to the church for $13.50. This land was used to build the present-day church and parsonage. The parsonage was built in 1876, and the church was built in 1886 at a cost of $1250. The church bell was installed in 1923. The stained glass windows were put in when Rev. William Schenk and Rev. Pearl Osterhout served the parish. The last project was the installation of a new basement under the church to serve the needs of the various groups. Carley Brook, Torrey, Smith Hill, and Girdland have a Methodist Church that belongs to the Scranton District of the Wyoming Conference. One minister serves all four churches, and each church has services one Sunday each month.
Text by Marge Hook and Sally Eno Soden
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.