Cherry Ridge Township Thomas Bonear purchased this property from William R. and Mary McLaury in 1848. It remained in the Bonear family for more than 134 years. Thomas Bonear is believed to have had the house built. It is located on the Owego Turnpike, which was a principal road when Wayne County was in its infancy. Thomas Bonear was a blacksmith; the foundation of his blacksmith shop is still visible one hundred yards east of the home. In 1936. after Thomas Bonear's death, ownership of this property passed to his grandson, L. Alton Bonear. who enlarged the house and converted it to a two-family rental property. In 1982 attorney Errol Flynn and his wife Mary Ann purchased the property. They restored the house to its original use, taking three years to complete the work. The Flynns also added a family room and a wrap-around porch. The double-hung windows are six over six. A simple entablature with broken transom lights surrounds the recessed front doorway. The gable's cornice details are wide trim with a band of trim dividing the gable into two parts. It is a tine example of Greek Revival architecture. The Flynns have done an excellent job restoring this old house.
Text by Marge Hook, Sally Eno Soden, Gloria McCullough, and Ann O'Hara
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.