Belmont & South Streets, Waymart This house sits on land first deeded to Stephen Blatchley by George Goundry in 1827. In 1847, Stephen Blatchley sold three acres of the land to James Carr for $70. Carr probably built the original house. George E. Perkins. an engineer, purchased this property in 1872. Records reveal he enlarged the house about 1877. In 1932, after his wife's death, Mr. Perkins gave it to his daughter Grace Wonnacott. Grace's husband. Z. A. Wonnacott, owned a general store in Waymart. The house stayed in the Wonnacott family until 1960. At that time their daughter Irma sold it to Oliver Shifler who used it as a funeral home. William and Jennifer Keen Wertz purchased the property from Oliver Shifler in 1985. Since Mr. Wertz' death, Mrs. Wertz has continued to live in the house. She has done extensive work on the property. With additions made through the years, the house has both Greek Revival and Victorian architectural characteristics. It is believed the dining room mantel is from an original fireplace. The walls in the two parlors, dining room, and staircase are lathe and plaster over double planks, revealing this to he the original structure. It had been converted to a two-family house, although it is not used as this. It is a beautiful, well-kept old home.
Text by Marge Hook, Sally Eno Soden, Gloria McCullough, and Ann O'Hara
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2018 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.