Steene - Canaan Township The little one-room school on Route 6 between Prompton and Waymart has had many transformations. The land traces back to the Elk Forest Tract in 1794 and then through several owners. In 1875, James D. Burnes and his wife, Sarah, sold the Prompton School District "a piece of ground in district 2 of the Borough for the establishment and support of common schools in said district." This portion of Prompton Borough was annexed by Canaan Township in 1915. The name Steene was officially Sixteen, a plane number on the Gravity Railroad. The building has its original windows with many panes of old glass in the six-over-six windows. The interior plaster contains horsehair. The original school stove is still heating the building today. It is stamped Stove #322 Convection Heater, and is surrounded by a rare copper fender, embossed with a design and stamped "The Smith System." School records of 1923 reveal that Edgar Roe was the teacher of the eight grades with 33 children enrolled. That year a Box Social and Entertainment was held to raise money for a school bell. The school closed in 1951. It has since been an antique shop, a bait shop and a smoke shop. Now owned by Vicky and Joe Dougherty. the gift shop is full of country furniture, accessories, and wreaths. The charming old school by the West Branch of the Lackawaxen is still true to its origins, and has adapted well to the new century.
Text by Marge Hook, Sally Eno Soden, Gloria McCullough, and Ann O'Hara
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.