518 Church Street - Hawley The land on which this house was built traces back to a warrant from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to Patrick Connelly as a four hundred-acre parcel in Wayne and Pike Counties. A portion of this was sold to Joseph Walker, and in 1827 his heirs sold to Henry, Hiram, and David Bishop. Later deeds refer to "the Bishop land, lot 11 and 12." In 1869 George Schlager owned the land. Beers' Atlas of 1872 shows his property on Sixteenth Street (now Church) and the Hawley Business Notices list "Schlager. Geo., Bakery. Grocery, and Confectionery." Over the next 130 years, the building has been a boarding house, an apartment house, an accountant's office, and an embroidery shop. Now, with its bright new face. the old clapboard house full of antiques is embarking on a new and exciting venture. Miss Elly's Antiques & Such. Lynn Valashinas and Elaine Herzog purchased the property at 518 Church Street in May of 1999. One month later the exterior had been painted in colors selected from the book "America's Painted Ladies." The colonial blue clapboards with elderberry and lavender violet trim give the house the look of the 1800's. The three apartments have been opened up and the first two floors are full of antiques and collectibles. The Gothic Revival style house has a center gable, a tin roof, a full-length one-story porch and flattened arch windows. The paneled front door with lovely old glass in the seven light transom and five sidelights is more usual in the Greek Revival style, as are the decorative porch brackets. This mix of styles is not uncommon in our area. Historic Preservation Award given in 1999 to Elaine Herzog & Lynn Valashinas for exterior restoration of this property.
Text by Marge Hook, Sally Eno Soden, Gloria McCullough, and Ann O'Hara
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.