Golf Hill Road. Honesdale Charles P. Searle and his wife. Hattie Arnold Searle, built the Dutch Colonial house across from the Honesdale Golf Club in 1914. The land had been part of the Andrew Thompson estate. Attorney Searle, son of Judge A.T. Searle. served as a Major in the Judge Advocate General's office in Washington during World War I. Charles Searle died in 1919, shortly after the death of his infant son. Some years later Hattie Searle married Clarence E. Bodie. He was a local lawyer. who was elected Judge in 1941 and served until 1966. The Bodies called the house the Crest, and lived there for nearly fifty years. The stone house, with a shingled second story, has a steeply pitched, side gambrel roof, flared eaves, and a continuous dormer across the front. Early photos show a covered entry porch with a stone pillared trellis on the street side and a covered porch with stone pillars on the east. That has been enclosed and is now a library. The spacious foyer has French doors leading to the dining room and to the large living room. After Judge Bodie's death the house was sold to Edwin and Hattie Moll. Peter and Janice Helms bought the property in 1978 and have given this elegant house overlooking Honesdale the loving care and restoration it so richly deserves.
Text by Marge Hook, Sally Eno Soden, Gloria McCullough, and Ann O'Hara
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.