Home >> Historic Preservation >> Historic Preservation Award Recipients

Home of the Stourbridge Lion Replica, The First Steam Locomotive To Run in America

Wayne County Historical Society
Historic Preservation Awards

Since 1993 the Wayne County Historical Society has recognized building owners who have demonstrated considerable effort and/or financial commitment towards the preservation of their buildings. Preservation of a building can include conservation, renovation, restoration, rehabilitation or adaptive re-use. Awards are given to those projects which follow the US Department of Interior’s Guidelines for Historic Preservation as closely as possible.

1993
Dennis & Donna Corrigan for restoration of the Wilmot Mansion, Bethany
County of Wayne for exterior restoration of the Wayne County Court House, Honesdale

1994
Dr. & Mrs. John Ridd for restoration of Twin Oaks, Hawley
Dr. & Mrs. Warren Goldfeder for restoration of the Coe Durland House, Honesdale
Attorney & Mrs. Robert Bryant for preservation of the Judge Waller House, Honesdale

1995
Howard Becker for his forty years of preserving the heritage of Wayne County through his art
Judith A. Hunt & Ed King for preserving the heritage of Wayne County through their art and preservation activities
Mr. & Mrs. Bayard DeNoie for revitalization of 1139 Main Street, Honesdale, The Main Street Beanery
Equinunk Historical Society for restoration of the Joel Hill Sawmill, Duck Harbor

1996
Zeke Boyle for restoration of David Wilmoth’s Birthplace, Bethany
County of Wayne for exterior restoration of the Samuel Dimmick Building, Honesdale
Debi & Tim Downs for restoration of the Varden Post Office and Store, Varden
Special Award
John Frei for restoration of the D & H Canal Co. Lock House 22 and Locks, Kimbles

1997
VAN GUARD Development Corp. for restoration of the Thomas Crossley House, Honesdale
Georgene & Joseph Kassakian for restoration of the Olver House (Beech Grove Road)
Wayne County Public Library for preservation of the William Foster House
Peggie & Jonathan Scharf for preservation of the Lake Como Inn
Harry & Carl Bowen for their life long work with stone

1998
Lacawac Sanctuary Foundation for restoration of their Deegan Tower Chimes
Mr. & Mrs. James Schell for restoration of the James Birdsall House, Seelyville
Shehawken Unites Methodist Church for interior restoration of their sanctuary
County of Wayne for restoration of the exterior of the Bethel School, Berlin Township

1999
Elaine Herzog & Lynn Valashinas for exterior restoration of Miss Elly’s Antiques & Such, Hawley
Jan Gibbons & John Pavone for their adaptive reuse of the Mowat Farm to Stoney Creek Farm, Hawley
Donna & Dennis Corrigan for restoration of Charles Hoel House, Bethany
Juan Espino for revitalization of 229 Main Avenue, Hawley - The Looking Glass Art Gallery,
& his advocacy of local historic preservation through his art and deeds
St. Mary Magdalen R.C. Church for restoration of their Bell & Tower

2000
Berlin Township Community Center
G. H. Hovagimyan & Joyce Castleberry for restoration of Galilee Post Office & its adaptive reuse
Martha Franco, Lisa, & Rembert Meszler for revitalization of 1023 Main Street, Honesdale
Shehawken Lake Association for their 2000/2001 calendar
James Kundratic for Howetown Farm Show & other preservation efforts
Mary Curtis for her work in establishing Equinunk, Milanville, & Damascus National Historic Districts
Linus Myers for his research and rehanging of Wayne County lawyer’s portraits in the Court House

2001
Douglas & Lisa LaPasta for restoration of the PA Coal Co. Paymaster’s House, Hawley
Mr. & Mrs. Robert Zabady for adaptive reuse of the Durland-Thompson & Co. Building, Main & Chapel Streets, Honesdale
Buckingham Township for adaptive reuse of the O & W Railroad Station, Starlight
Carol & Dick Barrett for adaptive reuse of the Tyler Hill Country Inn, Tyler Hill
Ed Wargo – Teacher, Evan Cole, Chris Doney, & Chris Toth for the building of the Bethel School Privy Replica

2002
Tom Colbert & Alan Kehoe for adaptive re-use of the D & H Canal Co. Office, 720 Hudson Street, Hawley
Attorney David Gregory for adaptive re-use of 307 Erie Street, Honesdale
Michael & Michele Borsdam for rehabilitation of the Berkemeir House, Rt. 652, Beach Lake
Dorflinger-Suydam Wildlife Sanctuary for restoration C. Dorflinger & Sons Worker’s Home, Charles Street, White Mills
Gouldsboro Area Foundation for restoration of the exterior of the Gouldsboro Train Station
Honesdale Borough for exterior restoration of Honesdale City Hall, 958 Main Street, Honesdale
Vincent Griffis for his significant contributions of knowledge, artifacts, and assistance to
WCHS’s exhibition entitled Ice Industry in the Wayne County Area
Mark Grandjean for organizing Boy Scout Troop 1’s exterior restoration of WCHS’s railroad snowplow

2003
St John’s R.C. Parish for the interior renovations of St. Mary Magdalen’s Parochial Residence, 414 Church Street, Honesdale
Donna & Dennis Corrigan for restoration of the Major Elisha Strong House, Starrucca
Sarah Corrigan & Michael Searls for restoration /renovation of the Haggerty House, 529 Hudson Street, Hawley
Christopher Hughes & Sheelah Kaye-Stepkin for adaptive re-use of the First National Bank of Hawley, 302 Main Ave., Hawley
William Amptman for preserving local history through his artwork
Shehawken Lake Association for their publication: The Cottage History of Lake Shehawken

2004
Edward & Joyce Brooking for preservation of the Brooking Farm, Pleasant Mount
Drs. Estela Rosa & Jorge Perez for restoration of the Taft House, 538 Academy Street, Hawley
Dr. Walter and Marilyn Barbe for restoration of Dorflinger’s Glass Worker’s House #1
Donald Marsden for the adaptive reuse of the Stalker Church, Stalker
Lake Como United Methodist Church for restoration of the same, Lake Como
Himalayan Institute for the revitalization of 630 Main Street, Honesdale
Thomas Kennedy for his many efforts to raise the level of historic awareness in our community
Richard Kreitner for his efforts over the years to preserve Wayne County’s Old Stone Jail
Gordon Kinsinger for time donated to three WCHS’s annual auctions

2005
Cynthia & Irvin Williams for renovations of 622 Church Street, Honesdale Morning Glory – The Cottage
Cindy & Terry Smith for preservation of the Edward O. Hamlin House, 1422 N. Main Street, Honesdale

2006
Mary Grieve & Stephen Smith for exterior/ interior renovation of the Falls Port Inn, 330 Main Ave., Hawley
Linda & Mike Lazaro for restoration of Penny Lane Candied & Candles, 602 Church Street, Hawley
Nichols-Schwartz Publishing for exterior preservation & adaptive reuse of Indian Orchard Grange
Historian of Sterling Township for the exterior/interior preservation & adaptive reuse of the I.O.O.F Hall, Sterling
Mary & Michael Rivardo for the preservation & revitalization of Missing Pieces, 959 Main Street, Honesdale

2007
Jerry Savoy & John Weiss for the restoration of 110 Miller Drive, Honesdale
Waymart Area Historical Society for the rehabilitation of the Delaware & Hudson Gravity Railroad Depot, Waymart
A.M. Skier Insurance & The Delaware Highlands Conservancy for the
exterior restoration & adaptive re-use of 508 River Street, Hawley

2008
Michael Levin & Raul Vega for the restoration of 543 Hudson Street, Hawley
Alan Kehoe & Thomas Colbert for the preservation of 730 Hudson Street, Hawley
Regina Coyne for the adaptive reuse of the Woodbridge House, 144 Savitz Road, Hamlin
Linda Dix Lee for publishing the book The Way it Was...

2009
Edward Ahern & David Hernandez for the restoration of the Joseph Atkinson House, Hawley
Jeremiah & Therese Ahern for the restoration of 308 River Street, Hawley
Paul Ludick & Bill Anton for the adaptive reuse of Maude Alley, 1019 Main Street, Honesdale
Dr. Walter and Marilyn Barbe for the adaptive reuse of the D & H C. Co.’s Lock 33 Tender’s House, White Mills
Kathy Schloesser for the adaptive reuse of the Eliphalet Kellogg House, Bethany
Janet & Warren Heinly for the adaptive reuse of the James Manning House, Bethany
Hawley Silkmill LLC for beginning the preservation/adaptive reuse of the Bellemonte Silk Factory, Hawley

2010
Hawley Silk Mill, LLC for the adaptive re-use of the Bellmonte Silk Factory’s Vault Building, Hawley
Leonard & Margery Schwartz for the restoration of the Wayne Hotel, Honesdale
Lars & Cynthia Hanson, for the adaptive re-use and revitalization of The Hanson Gallery and Decorium, Honesdale
Josh & Lorie Sheard, Sage Investments, Inc. for the adaptive re-use & revitalization of the Boyds Mills Store & Post Office, Milanville
Patricia Brownell Dudley & Suzanne Baker Dehmel for the book The Legacy of Coxton Lake, A Collective History

2011
James K. & Bette Asselstine for the restoration of the Dorflinger Glass Factory Office Building, White Mills
Frances & Louis Gruber for the adaptive re-use & preserving the historic integrity of 214 9th Street, Honesdale
Patricia & Roger Hunt for the renovation of the Schnakenberg farm house and barn, Oregon Township
Jamel & Lydia Thomas for the restoration of the James Tighe House, 785 Hudson Street, Hawley
Jeanne Petta for her significant part in acquiring Jennie Brownscombe painting entitled,
The Great Convention
for the Wayne County Historical Society
Sally Talaga for guest curating the University of Scranton’s exhibition,
An Ideal Subject: The Art of Jennie Brownscombe


2012
Pennell Whitney for the rehabilitation & adaptive re-use of The Cooperage, 1013 Main Street, Honesdale
Monique Greenwood for the rehabilitation & adaptive re-use of The Mansion at Noble Lane, Bethany
John Shuman, Justin, Grant, & Jeanne Genzlinger for the adaptive re-use of the O’Conner Glass Factory to The Ledges, Hawley
Margaret Steffen for writing the book The Rural Schools of Wayne County

2013
James K. & Bette Asselstine for the restoration of Dorflinger Lower Factory Cutting Shop Building, White Mills
Sari Schwartz for the restoration and preserving the historic integrity of the The Inn at Starlight Lake, Starlight
Equinunk Historical Society for the addition to historic Calder House, Equinunk

2014
The Hawley Public Library for the restoration of the Pennsylvania Coal Company Gravity Railroad Car, 103 Main Avenue, Hawley
Greene-Dreher Historical Society for the restoration of Peggy Bancroft Hall, 465 South Sterling Road, South Sterling
William Klaber for writing the book The Rebellion of Miss Lucy Ann Lobdell

2015
Vaughn Dailey for writing the book Edwin Mendenhall, Your Missionary to Wayne County, PA
and for the preservation and restoration of 12 stained glass windows from Zion Protestant Episcopal Church, Sterling PA
Joshua Green and Eric Kawka for the restoration and adaptive re-use of the 1830’s building at 939 Main Street, Honesdale
Dr. Estela Rosa & Dr. Jorge Perez for restoration of the 1890’s Victorian-Style Michael J. McAndrew Building at
245 Prospect Street, Hawley PA
Damascus Township Historical Society for the restoration and adaptive re-use of the 1850’s
Dr. Theron Appley’s Office Building, 174 High School Road, Damascus PA

2016
Kim Erickson for writing the book Honesdale, part of the Images of America Series;
and for her work with Wayne County’s “Walk of Honor”; the WWII Veteran’s “Tour of Honor”; and her many other projects.
Sheila Weller for the care and preservation of the 1874 Judge Butler Hamlin House, 591 Easton Turnpike, Hamlin
Rudy and Francine Schemitz for the adaptive reuse of the former Chroma Tube Factory,
which they have transformed into the Sports Factory of NEPA, 8 Riverside Drive, White Mills
2017
The 2017 Historic Preservation Awards were selected by community members voting for their favorite location.
 The Inn at Starlight Lake received the highest number of votes. The eleven finalists were:

 

Bellemonte Silk Mill - Hawley Silk Mill, Hawley

D&H Canal Co. Office - Wayne County Historical Society, Honesdale

D&H Canal Co. Gravity Railroad Depot - Waymart Area Historical Society, Waymart

Dorflinger Factory Museum – White Mills

Fireproof - Bethany Borough Bldg., Library, Historical Society, Bethany

Gouldsboro Train Station - Gouldsboro Historical Society, Gouldsboro

Joel Hill Saw Mill, Equinunk

Lacawac Sanctuary and Biological Field Station, Lake Ariel

Old Stone Jail, Honesdale

The Inn at Starlight Lake, Starlight

Wayne County Courthouse, Honesdale

 

 

 

 



Click here to download the Historic Preservation Awards Recipients List.