Research Materials Available in the WCHS Research Library,810 Main St.
WCHS members are entitled to free use of the library and non-members pay $5/day. We have a microfilm reader/printer and computers with searchable databases. Photocopies or computer copies are 25 cents each for non-members, 10 cents each for members. Copies from the microfilm reader/printer are $1 for the first copy, 25 cents for each additional copy.
A geneology professional can be hired to research any topic or name you wish, with results either mailed or emailed to you. See the Professional Research item in our shop for details and how to submit a request.
Following is a list of some of the materials available for genealogical and local history research in the Historical Society’s research library. Many other books and databases for Wayne County PA historians and genealogists are available including: files, microfilm, photo archives and manuscripts.
Research materials at the WCHS Research Library, your best source for the history and genealogy of Wayne County, PA.
Information is available on obtaining vital records and ordering professional research.
- History of Wayne, Pike & Monroe Counties, by Alfred Mathews, 1886 (indexed).
- History of Wayne County, by Phineas G. Goodrich, 1880 (indexed)
- Beers Atlas of Wayne County, 1872, with names of occupants (indexed)
- Map of Wayne County, 1860, with names of occupants
- Wayne County Birth and death records 1893-1905 (microfilm)
- Wayne County Marriage Licenses 1885-1906 (microfilm)
- Civil War Veterans and Widows Census 1890 (indexed for Wayne County
- Commemorative Biographical Record of Northeastern Pennsylvania (indexed)
- Family genealogies and files
- Federal Census Records 1790-1930 (microfilm)
- Histories of Wayne County people, places and things, e. g. D&H Canal, Stourbridge Lion, Gravity Railroads, etc.
- History of Pennsylvania Civil War Volunteers, by Samuel Bates (indexed)
- Illustrated Wayne, 1900-1902, by Benjamin F. Haines (indexed)
- Local newspapers 1830 to date (microfilm)
- Wayne County Naturalizations 1822-1906 (indexed)
- Orphan’s Court Docket 1803-1852 and 1855-1869 (microfilm)
- Photo Archives – more than 7,000 photos
- Verna Hill Jacob Scrapbooks 1939-1980 (microfilm)
- Wayne County gravestone inscriptions, compiled by Burlin Abby and Prof. Richard Eldred
- Map showing cemetery locations
- Susquehanna Company Papers (Vols. I-IV)
- Diary of Philip Hone
- History and Genealogy of the Families of Old Fairfield, Donald Lines Jacobus.
- History and Genealogy of the Families of Old New Haven, Donald Lines Jacobus
- Pension Rolls of 1835
- Great Migration Series, Robert Charles Anderson
- Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England, James Savage
- New England Marriages prior to 1700, Clarence Almon Torry (w/supplements)
- History of Sullivan County, NY, Eldredge Quinlan (Indexed)
- Centennial History of Susquehanna County, PA, Rhamanthus M. Stocker (indexed)
- History of Susquehanna County, PA, by Emily C. Blackman (indexed)
- Nomenclature of Wayne, A History of Wayne County, PA, Thomas J. Ham (Indexed)
- Prompton Presbyterian Church Sessions Records 1842-1900 (microfilm)
- Tax assessments 1850-1935 (microfilm)